On Saturday, our family participated in the River Run for Orphans. It is a run that brings together people from all different churches to raise money for orphans around the world. Runners and walkers gather pledges from friends, family, and others, then walk or run a 5K course along the River Trail here in beautiful Colorado.
Jerome ran last year, and gathered pledges to run again this year. Feeling a little under the weather lately, I opted to be a course marshall with the kiddos. Pushing a double jogger 3.2 miles with an extra 60 lbs of kiddo did not exactly appeal to me. Although there were many tough individuals that did run the race with kiddos. They are so much tougher than me...
Before the "real" race, there is a kids 1-mile fun run. About 5 minutes before the start, Katrina decided she wanted to run. Good thing we put her tennies on her this morning. She was very excited to put her little number on her belly, and lined up at the start with Daddy.

She ran/walked the ENTIRE 1 mile course. I wasn't sure she'd last one lap, let alone 4. When she was done, they gave all the kiddos medals. She (according to the paper) came in 22nd, but definitely was first in her own mind.

When Madi saw big sis finishing the race, she decided she wanted in. So, she ran the last 30 yards to the finish line, collected a medal, then ran back to me. She also decided that she came in first. Didn't know we had a tie, but ok!
Violet got to spend most of the morning with one of her new favorite people, Miss Kayla. Kayla is the daughter of our new Pastors of Student Ministries, and an absolute joy.

After the kids race, the girls and I positioned ourselves on the course to cheer them on an make sure no one fell in the river. We all did our jobs marvelously, I might add. But, you can imagine my surprise when I got to work this morning to discover this wonderful article in our local paper about the race, featuring this lovely photo of my speed demon husband.

Yes, there he is on the right, starting the course. He's so cute. No, they don't give out medals to the big kids. Jerome was disappointed, but he took it well. The girls slept with theirs, and wore them all day Saturday. What a great morning raising money for a wonderful cause!
3 comments:
I'm so glad you posted the article, I hadn't seen it. What a nice write-up. (And 22nd is totally 1st in my book too, Katrina!)
As I watched Katrina running with her Daddy, it brought tears to my eyes. I was yelling and cheering for her. We all were. It was truly a precious moment. And I am so glad she liked her medal! I picked them out and prayed they would bless the kids. Props to you Mama and Jerome too. You guys are amazing! peace! lv, jen
Oh my goodness! This must be the same one that Linny & DW posted about? It was so exciting to see all the people who joined together to raise money to bring kids home to their forever families.
Just amazing - thanks for posting about it and including all those great pictures!
Post a Comment