Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, November 2, 2009

To my baby

Was it really two years ago that my baby was born? Because it seems like yesterday. As I was in the shower this morning (at 6:45), I was vividly remembering that morning, at 6:45. Changing into the lovely hospital gown, anxiously awaiting our first glimpse at our blessed surprise. She was born at precisely 7:58 AM (gotta love c-sections with former Navy docs), and our lives changed forever.








She captured our hearts immediately. How could she not? I remember taking this picture on my phone as she slept that afternoon, then being so happy on the pain meds that I tried to text it to friends and family. I sent an empty text three times before I just gave up and enjoyed my little girl. She was a dream baby, falling asleep so easily, smiling at anything, so mild-mannered and pleasant.


Her first birthday, we had all kinds of friends over to celebrate. Looking back, those eyes still make me cry. So expressive, so sweet.




Today, my dear sweet girl, you are two. And, as much as I try, I cannot keep you from growing up. I cannot keep you this age forever. Your little personality is so funny, so sweet, so strong. You are so many things in one tiny package. Your kisses and hugs melt my heart. You are loved by so many - you have yet to realize all the lives you have already touched.
I look forward to seeing what God has in store for you. How He is going to reveal Himself to you. What gifts and talents He is going to give you. I am so honored that He chose me to be your mother. While you were my surprise blessing, God knew exactly when to bring you into this world. You have a purpose and a plan that is completely unique. No one else, past, present, or future, can accomplish what God has set forth for you. And I promise to guide you down that path. To teach you about His love, His goodness, His holiness.
But, ultimately, you must walk that path alone. As much as I would love to, I cannot walk that path for you. It is a path designed only for you and your Heavenly Daddy. My prayer is that you stay on that path. It may not always be clear, it may not always make sense, but it will always, always be the best path.
Only two short years ago tonight we snuggled in the hospital nursery. Your pediatrician stayed up the entire night to make sure you were ok. He fell in love with you at first sight. He still adores you, calls to check on you, makes sure you see only him. I think that is part of your gift - you have a personality that makes people instantly love you.
Tonight you are two. You are not grown up yet, although you may try as hard as you can! And, a little later, I will tiptoe into your room to watch you sleep. Like I do every night. I will kiss your head, laugh at your tiny behind in the air, touch your hair, and fall in love all over again. You are my precious baby. And you always will be. I love you little lady.





No comments: