Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Latest on Katrina

So we did the ultrasound bright and early Friday morning. It went well, Katrina felt well. The ultrasound tech looked at me like I was nuts for ordering this.



Grandma Bleger had a special croissant breakfast waiting for her when we were done. Katrina finished eating, then we got in the car to go to the grocery store. It took the 2 mile, 5 minute drive between Grandmas house and the grocery store for her to go from fine to major pain. She remained in a lot of pain for about an hour and a half.



We got home right at lunch time, and Katrina was feeling well enough to eat some lunch. About a half hour later, the pain returned. Frustrating, but at least we had a pattern to go off of.



Katrina's doctor called early in the evening. The ultrasound was perfectly clear. No problems. We talked about her pain, the pattern that I had noticed. We have narrowed it down to a few possibilities. They are:
  • dairy or wheat allergy
  • abdominal migraines (like regular migraines, only in your abdomen. They happen in kids with a family history of migraines, like ours.)

  • ulcer

  • irritable bowel syndrome

None of these possibilities are an easy, one-time fix. But we can do something about each of them. The blood test for the wheat allergy will come back sometime next week. We have cut off the dairy completely since Wednesday, when we first discussed the idea of a food allergy. While we have seen improvement, she is still having pain. It is not completely debilitating, but it is still intense and sudden. Or perhaps, she is learning how to cope with it better. I am honestly not sure.



We are giving her a tiny bit of Milk of Magnesia every evening to coat her digestive tract, in case there is irritation. Beyond that, neither her doctor nor I are sure of the next course of action. We are going to talk on Tuesday, see how she is doing with the changes we have made. There are procedures/testing/etc that can be done, but neither of us are sure we want to subject her little body to them.



Last night before bed, we prayed with the girls, like every night. We prayed specifically that God would heal Katrinas body, that He would touch her. She woke up this morning feeling great. We ran errands, then went to the birthday party of a friend at the gymnastics center. She was a nut, running, jumping, and swinging everywhere. She was normal. I think she overdid it. After the party, she crashed in pain. Again. But, she told me she was really happy that God healed her long enough to be able to enjoy the party. That is the attitude I want to have - grateful for what He has done, not questioning what He did.



This afternoon we had another birthday party to go to. There was ice cream. And Katrina could not have it. And it broke her little heart. Milk, cheese, yogurt, all these things she can pass up. But ice cream? It was pretty hard. It made her sad. I am sure we will have more of these moments. I hope it gets easier. Because this afternoon, it hurt me too.


I will let you know what her doctor & I discuss on Tuesday. Hopefully, given what we notice about her this weekend, we will have a more definite course of action. Thanks for praying, friends. Know that our little girl, and her parents, appreciate it.



No comments: