A few years ago, when our pastors were in China adopting a son, God began to soften my heart towards the plight of the orphan. Honestly, I fought it. I thought the only way to minister to the orphan was to adopt, and I was not in a place to be open to that possibility. But, as I started reading web sites and blogs for orphanages around the world, I could no help but be moved. And I fell in love with Haiti.
The day the earthquake hit, it took everything not to get on a plane and get down there somehow. I obsessively read blogs from amazing ministries like Real Hope for Haiti, cherishing each little bit of information, cried over every picture.
Our church is organizing a trip to Haiti soon. I am slightly itchy to be on the plane and down there already. But, until that glorious day comes, I have to do something to keep my hands and mind busy. And here is where you come it.
Many of these orphanages rely on donations from the States for supplies. Things that cannot be purchased in Haiti, or are very expensive. RHFH recently asked their followers around the world if they would be willing to do some sewing for them. And that is something I can do!
I am making as many pillowcase dresses as I can before we leave. Right now, I think the trip will be in a couple of months, so you have plenty of time. Here is a really simple pattern that I used, but if you Google pillowcase dress, you can find many different patterns. Kat and I were able to make 2 dresses in about 2 1/2 hours this afternoon - not bad for someone who has never made a dress before! Here is one for a girl about Katrinas size:

And here is one for a baby, probably about 6 months.

These are seriously the most simple projects I have ever done. I bought more bias tape this afternoon so that I can use all the extra fabric I have laying around our house.
Whats that, you say? No sewing machine? Dont know how to sew? You can still help! Send me pillowcases, or cute fabric - I will make them. Please, link this post to your blog if you know you have followers who sew or would be interested in helping. I would love to have an entire suitcase full of dresses to take with us, hand made by people all across the country who just want to help.
Do you know how to sew cloth diapers? The orphanages in Haiti use cloth almost exclusively, simply because of cost.
Thank you for reading this. Thank you for hearing my heart. Thank you for helping!





4 comments:
Tiff-
I'm totally in! When do you need to have them by? I've been sewing more and more lately and having a great time.
Love ya!
Count me in too!!! You know me anything to help orphans.
I absolutely love pillow-case dresses! You did a great job!!
Tiffany!!! Im not much of a sewer but my mom pretty much ROCKS at it (and so does Kati!) so I posted something at work here at MPS asking for pillowcases!!! So we will have more to add to your collection! Im SOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous that you get to go to Haiti and care for the orphans.
Kelly Francis
Post a Comment