Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 16, 2009

New Discoveries

It seems like every day my children learn something new that just astounds me. For example, on Friday Violet learned that she could feed herself peas. She then proceeded to pick ALL the peas out of her dinner and eat them (yes, her poop was green on Saturday). After eating all of her peas, she snuck up on big sister Madison's plate and tried to steal the peas from there as well. That venture was not quite as successful. But, they were able to make amends and turn it into a fun game.

Madison has learned a new word - "hilarious". Everything is now hilarious.

Madison also learned that Papa will not tell her no when she asks for dessert after dinner, then more dessert, and more dessert. She succeeded in convincing him that she needed an ice cream sandwich and 2 ice cream cups. She ate them all with extreme caution, careful not to drop a bite. Her body then went into insulin shock and she ran in circles in my parents living room for 15 minutes. She was still in sugar shock the next morning at church. I think she's still probably running in circles, this time at Jo's house.

Katrina has learned that the fate of her school's new playground equipment does not in fact rest squarely on her shoulders. She is participating in a read-a-thon at school to raise money to buy new equipment. She was trying to read one evening, and struggling because she was so tired. When I told her that we should be done for the evening, and that we could read more the next day, she broke down into a screaming, crying, snotting mess. Once she calmed down, I was able to figure out that she thought SHE was responsible, by herself, for reading ALL the minutes for the ENTIRE school. Luckily, she knows nothing of the current world economic state, or I am certain that we would be dealing with her role in that on a regular basis as well.

I just had a realization. How often do I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders? How often do I believe, regardless of the actual truth, that I am responsible for EVERYTHING? And, when I realize that I cannot physically go on, do I break down & cry? Daddy says, "29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light (Matt 11:29-30)." The only way I will find rest for my soul is if I choose to take God's burden, and God's burden only. To take on any other load is to take on a load I was not intended to carry.

Lord, help me to carry Your load, and only Your load. And thank you for my precious children, who teach me every day!

3 comments:

Jill said...

I love the one with Katrina! She's so sweet and so smart. Love that girl.

Glimmerchick - Unplugged said...

I can totally believe Katrina thought the fate of her playground was solely her responsibility. She is an amazing smart and responsible girl. What a moment I bet when she realized she was not alone in it. I love your comparison to our lives and the Lord. We are all trying to "build the playground" by ourselves. Let Jesus keep reminding us that we are not alone in it... EVER. thanks tiff for this post. thanks for this awesome reminder! :)

Jo said...

No Madison is not running around my house in circles; although she is upstairs singing her usual med nap tune. Madison's papa and Anna's papa have a lot in-common.

I hear you on the caring all the worlds problems on your shoulders. I am guilty of that too; it is funny (at least I think) that we try to cary the worlds problems and think that we are responsible for everything and we always have the best intentions but in all actuality we are only doing something we were not designed to do and trying to be the savior we already have.