Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 16, 2009

The End of Modern Civilization

If there is one thing that people realize about me very quickly, it is that I am stubborn. When someone tells me, "You should do such and such," that is probably the last thing I will do. Not because I don't want to, but simply because someone told me to.



That being said, I would like to take a moment to expound on my reasons for avoiding selling my allegiance to the nation of F*cebook. Working full time has shown me just how little deep, meaningful, face-to-face contact occurs throughout the week. I realized that I took for granted the time and effort that it takes to create and nourish that quality time. And quality time is something I crave. And so, when everyone I knew started building accounts and poking each other, it made me kind of sad. I, as most of you know, dread many forms of modern technology anyways. Flat-screen tvs, ipod touch, iphones, twitter - it's all the same to me. It's all a devious ploy of Satan to get us to not spend quality time face to face with the people we love and cherish. Not really, but sometimes it sure feels that way! It is a constant battle in our home between the techie-junkie husband and the wannabe-Amish-born-in-the-wrong-century wife. Maybe that's why I absolutely loved my friend Jill's post about the ingratitude of modern society. Because we as a society have created all these applications to keep us "connected", and yet I feel like we are further apart than ever before.

But, I have also seen the amazing, reconnecting power of F*cebook. My husband is able to connect with friends and family around the country and the world. My siblings are in daily communication with each other even though they live across the nation. And, most important to my heart, ministry can happen. People can be challenged, loved, corrected, and led towards their awesome Daddy.

So, what is an anti-techie stubborn woman to do? I know I cannot keep fighting a losing battle. The title to this post does not, in fact, refer to my personal beliefs about F*cebook, although I am secretly convinced that the creation of the the F*cebook nation must have SOMETHING to do with the rise of the anti-Christ and imminent fall of society. It refers to the fact that we must be facing the end of modern civilization because I now have a F*cebook account. Ok, pick your chin up off the floor and come find me. But, if you so much as think about flinging poop at me, I will beat you!

3 comments:

Mom Of Many said...

You make me laugh sweet friend!! (Don't worry, won't be getting any poop from me!)

I, personally, hate Facebook too. Although I do have an account, I rarely go on it. Like you, I find it superficial and kind of corny.

On the other hand, I am able to share my heart on my blog (or at least part of my heart) with people I don't know....

I have often felt like I was born in the wrong century, because I believe that I would have been much more suited to the 1800's. I love the idea of gathering with friends and canning together or quilting together. The most fun I could imagine is that! And then talking about things that matter! =)

Love you!
PS While typing this Elizabeth was sitting next to me and pointed to Madison's picture and said, "Maddy Mom - Maddy!" Please tell Maddy that Elizabeth sends her love!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tiff,

Gosh I miss you! One of the things I loved most about living with you in college was that you knew exactly what you belived was right and stuck to it. Facebook can be both things you talk about. Either it can bring people together or make them further apart. I know that unless I've had a close relationship with someone outside Facebook it comes across as very meaningless communication but on the other hand I've talked about deep things with people I never thought I'd see again. Either way I still love you! and I love that you're doing this blog. I don't get to see your precious family every day but somehow I feel like I get to peek in and meet your kids and remember good times from school.

Love ya!

Jess

Shelly said...

Hi Tiffany!
I'm probably better known to you as "Norah's Mom" from church. I saw your post on Linn's blog and thought I'd stop by your page and say hello. I'm a little new to the blogging world (mostly I post stuff about Norah for her grandparents in CA) but I have a very active FB page. I understand your concerns about quality time though. It can be so easy to substitute technology for people...very dangerous! Anyway, just wanted to say hello. Hopefully we'll see you at the combined service this Sunday!
Shelly