Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Frankenbaby

All of our girls have been late walkers. Katrina took her first steps at 18 months, Madi took hers at a week shy of 20 months. So, I knew that Violet was going to take her sweet time. But a mother can always hope, can't she?

Violet turned 20 months on July 2. Violet actually took her first solo steps at the end of June, but then decided that crawling was still faster. Her big sisters loved walking immediately, and took off like little rockets. Violet - not so much. We just could not get her to walk, with or without us.

A few weeks ago, I helped out in our church's nursery one service. I was cuddling another baby while Violet was in the room playing. Suddenly, she stood up in the middle of the room and took six or seven steps! I was shocked! I was honestly convinced that she had decided walking was not for her. I was going to be the only mother of an 18-year-old that still had to carry her child.

After church, we usually herd the children into the sanctuary so that we can visit with our friends while the kids play for a while. Violet climbed onto the stage and promptly stood up and walked across towards some of our staff teens. When she got a reaction from them, she did it again. Hallelujah! Our child can walk.

She has been progressively getting steadier and steadier, and walking further by herself. She now walks confidently around the house with no help. Outside, she still prefers to crawl. I think that's because she can get dirtier when she crawls.

But, I knew I had to get proof. Definitive proof that our youngest could, in fact, walk. On her own. By her own choosing. With no video editing or body doubles.

So, the other night while she was feeling rather adventurous and brave, I whipped out the video feature on our camera and attempted to get proof. Now, you have to realize that Violet LOVES the camera. More specifically, she loves to see pictures of herself on the camera. So, what follows is a mad dash by Violet to walk across the room to get ahold of the camera, followed by close encounters with her eyeball and hair as she tries to "see" herself. But, she is clearly walking, and no, the video is not edited.

I consider it a major feat to upload a video. Don't even talk to me about editing. No clue!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Yeah for Violet! When she starts to walk as fast as she can crawl, watch out! Great job on the video :)