Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom




I personally think my mom has the coolest birthday in the world. Every year, there is a parade, barbeques, fireworks. I'll admit, I'm slightly jealous. My birthday is on Memorial Day. And while I absolutely, firmly believe in the importance of said holiday, do you know what people do on Memorial Day? Or, more importantly, what my family did on Memorial Day? We drove my grandparents around the greater Western Colorado/Eastern Utah area and put flowers on relatives' graves. Fun. Yeah, not really. Mom's birthday holiday is much, much cooler. Although sometimes we did go to Lake Powell. That was fun.








But I digress...










When she was little, growing up in Phoenix, her dad told her that the fireworks were for her. And she believed him. Personally, I still think the fireworks should be for her. She is an amazing woman, worthy of praise. She has been through more in her life that I think anyone should have to go through. She raised two daughters, a stepson, and a stepdaughter to the best of her ability. She has walked through marriage, divorce, remarriage, blended families, births, deaths, sorrow, joy, and everything in between with more grace and courage than anyone else I have seen.




Mom is the most loyal person I know. She is fiercely protective of her family. She has always kept her home immaculate, something I aspire to daily because of her example. She taught me how to work hard, how to put family first, how to sacrifice yourself for the good of others.




She loves all her kids and grandkids passionately, but is willing to step back and allow us to make our own decisions. That is hard to do. She showers her grandchildren with unconditional love and admiration, but disciplines them when they get out of line. She is full of grace, hope, and love.




She is adventurous, fun-loving. My mom is by far the most beautiful woman I know. I consider it an honor that God granted her as my mother. She is an amazing woman.




Today, while the country pauses for a day to reflect on each person's freedoms, to honor our nation, I will honor my mom. You are simply amazing. I am blessed to be your daughter, and your friend. You have and will continue to teach me so much. Happy Birthday Mom, I love you!










P.S. - We both know the fireworks are still just for you!








P.P.S. - Please forgive me for posting your beautiful picture. I couldn't resist. You're too beautiful. And note, I did pick a far-away shot so you couldn't complain about how everyone could see every little imperfection. Because you don't have any. You're that beautiful.




No comments: