Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, January 9, 2009

Bragging Mama

Yeah, yeah, I know. I've missed THREE Thankful Thursdays in a row now. The world is going to stop spinning on its axis and fall into darkness. No, not really, but I am shocked that I have missed this many weeks. Well, I do have Christmas and New Year's as excuses, but I've got nothing for yesterday. Other than the normal Thursday chaos that is our home. And the studying for my test on Saturday. Anyways, I will get to my normal thankful post hopefully this weekend, but I have a really cool idea for it that will require the commandeering of Jerome's laptop for a while. So, instead, you'll have to deal with a little bit of my bragging...





When we decided to put Katrina in school this fall, I was a little nervous about whether or not she was really ready. Socially, I knew she was, but I wasn't sure where she would fall academically. She could not read, and could not identify most of her letters or numbers. I knew that there were a lot of her classmates who could write their names, read a little, etc. I know she is a lot like me, very strong-willed, but so eager to please people.





She has done so well since August. She is now reading small books on her own, can write her name, can identify all her letters and numbers up to 20, and is excelling beyond my expectations. She absolutely loves school, loves her teacher, and loves reminding her little friends that Jesus wants to be their friend, too. It is so reassuring to my heart. As my friend Jill posted a while ago, it can be intimidating to stand firmly for where you believe God has called you, and to defend that calling, especially in regards to your children. And, we know that God has called Katrina to this school for this time. Will she be in public schools all 12 years? Who knows? But for now, I rest in the knowledge that God has placed her, and our family, in this school for this time. Why? I may not know on this side of heaven, but that's ok.





Ok, off my soap box! So, here is the beautiful little example that she brought home last night that truly showed me just how far she has come. And all the little quirks that come with raising a "lefty" (Daddy & I are "rightys").

In case you need a translation, the correct answers are:

lemon, cherry, 7, 6, 14

I love how she writes her e upside-down & backwards, and how her a is backwards as well. Things I never thought about as a righty. Thanks for letting me brag a little - I love my princess!

3 comments:

Jo said...

That is funny that she is a lefty - my mom is too. I remember in education classes having to learn to teach lefty people and it now looks like Benen might be a lefty - he as better aim with his left hand then his right but we will see. Keep bragging I love to her how she is doing in school.

Jill said...

I am so very impressed with how she's doing. You can brag all you want. She's a smart and beautiful 5 year old and she's doing awesome with reading and writing. She's a genius!

Kimberly Beach said...

First - I think I shall call her Hadassah - for such a time as this! I love they way she tells her class, "this is my friend, Miss Kim."

Second - get her on the piano. Lefties are great pianists because they use both sides of their brain beter than righties.

Love you Nina! your Friend, Kim