Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thankful Thursday...the journey

This Thursday, I feel that I have so much to be truly grateful for. I have been learning so much lately about the character of God. I hope I never stop learning. So, today, I am thankful for this journey my Daddy has been taking me on lately, because...
I was the square peg in the round hole!
Ever since I accepted Christ, this is how I have felt about my "quiet time", "devotionals", or whatever you call it. Essentially, quality time with Daddy. I have not been a morning person since I was six. And yet, I have heard numerous people say that morning is the best time to do devotionals. I have counseled numerous people that this was the best time to study the Word, as you are fresher, not bogged down by the day, etc. And so, I have tried to force myself to do this, with no luck. I have felt like I've been beating my head against a brick wall, and beating myself up for a "simple" spiritual discipline that "everyone" else did just fine. Now, I know that is not the truth, but, as with any other struggle, that is exactly what Satan wants you to believe.
Jerome has teased me since our wedding about my ability to stay awake all night reading. When 10PM hits in our house, I know it's time to take the sleepy boy to bed. He has been known to fall asleep while praying at night. He gets up to run with a bunch of other crazy men at 5AM. He likes morning. I do not. On the other hand, I can stay awake a lot longer than he, and usually do. And so, I had a revelation in the last few weeks. It was as if God said, "How did I create you? Why are you trying to fit yourself into someone else's mold? Why not try mine?"

What a revelation! I can be who God created me to be, in all aspects of my life. Who cares if others do their devotions in the morning - it doesn't mean that I have to! The last few weeks have been so refreshing, so alive. After Jerome goes to sleep, Daddy and I can spend time reading, learning, talking. I have finally found the benefit to being an insomniac!

2 comments:

Susan Mudry-McDaniel said...

I have found the same thing. I have mine at my lunch break. Put in the bluetooth earpiece and start talking. And the "world" is none the wiser. Thank You God for bluetooth and the random way you made me.

Jerome Bleger said...

Tiff,
I am ecstatic that you have found your time. I know that I can be a sleepy haed, and I appreciate you not being too hard on me because of it. I love and appreciate you more every day. Thanks for letting me go on a "grocery date" with you.