Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Our Latest Adventure - How do you spell pneumonia?

Wow, what a day. For that matter, wow, what a week! We finished the Passion Play Saturday night, celebrated Easter on Sunday, then Monday went to work/school/sitters like normal. I left that afternoon for training in Grand Junction while Jerome stayed home & did a fabulous job of caring for our girls. However, Violet decided that the antibiotics she was on for her ear infection were not enough. She got pretty sick Monday & Tuesday night. When my mom picked her up Wednesday, she was so worried that she called me while I was driving home. I got home Wednesday evening, just in time to tuck the bigguns' into bed, and snuggle with JJ on the couch. This morning, Violet was no better. She was running a fever, lethargic, coughing & wheezing from congestion, etc. So, I took her in, thinking that the ear infection was just as stubborn as my daughter and attempting a repeat performance.

After running a ton of tests (we now know she does NOT have strep, an ear infection, the flu, or RSV), the doc was still baffled. She ordered a chest xray because she didn't like the sounds of her lungs. Winner winner chicken dinner! The child has pneumonia! It was just in her right lower lung, and the doc thought we caught it early, but she was still worried.

And so, I got to hear those dreaded words, "We need to admit your daughter." I've made it through 5 1/2 years of parenthood without that phrase - too bad I couldn't make it a little longer. But, her breathing was far too rapid, and her oxygen levels too low for the doc to be comfortable sending her home.

So, we came over to the hospital (Madison in tow, mind you... an adventure in itself). They had her room with her fancy crib all ready to go for her. We got the oxygen tube on her face (didn't like that), the oxygen monitor on her toe (didn't like that), then got ready for the IV. SHE REALLY DIDN'T LIKE THAT! For the next few hours, ever person that entered our room in scrubs was Satan in her book. She yelled at them. I've never heard her yell at someone other than her sisters - it was interesting. They started her on fluids (she's dehydrated), antibiotics, pain meds for the fever, and the oxygen. She has three tubes coming out of her body, and looks totally pitiful. Luckily, the combination is working. She is currently snoring, just like Dad. And, all of her levels look good. We've been able to bring the fever down, her oxygen up, and let her rest.

If she continues to improve, she could get to go home tomorrow. If she doesn't, then we're looking at steroids and at least one more night.

We have had so many wonderful friends & family pour out love since we discovered we were "going in", it is kind of overwhelming. It's always easier to be on the giving side of that love rather than the receiving. Stuffed animals, meals, prayers, COFFEE!, childcare help, offers to do whatever, etc. Thank you all, so much. We are truly blessed to have such an amazing extended family.

I will try to update this as we get news (or maybe I'll let hubby commandeer the post). Thank you for your prayers - I know they work!

2 comments:

carie said...

i am kicking myself that i didn't pray with violet before i left. you are all in my prayers
xx, carie

Glimmerchick - Unplugged said...

Miss Tiff, Jerome, Katrina Madison and Violet... You are a complete blessing to all who know you. My prayers continue to go up for little Violet, healing, comfort and joy and peace for all of you. It was so nice to see Violet eating last night and feeling better from Ibuprofen. I know our awesome "Daddy" loves her so much. She is tucked in his wings.. being cared for by the best possible healer. I am praying for her docs and nurses too! God bless you girlfriend, Keep us posted on her progress! Lv, jen