Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, July 12, 2009

New Ministries & New Blessings


Jerome & I recently embarked on a new adventure at church. Our friends, the "J team" (Jen, Jo, Jinny, and Jill) that head up various areas of the children's ministry, all ganged up on us. Somehow we got coerced into heading up a new facet of the children's ministry. OK, we weren't coerced. We had been talking and praying about it for a while. Actually, since we stepped down from the student ministries. It didn't take much convincing. They pretty much said, "Hey, what do you think about...?" and we said, "sure". Like I said, it didn't take much.
Well, we are now (gulp) River Guides. We are forming a team of Super Greeters, whose ongoing mission is to boldly go where no greeter has gone before. To seek out shy children, and uneasy parents. To explore new ways of making kids excited to come to church. Sorry, too much Star Trek lately. I digress...
We have always loved visiting with people, and getting to know new visitors and members to our church. And, now, we get to love on kids and visit with all their parents every week. I am really excited.
But, soon after accepting this prestigious appointment (yes, it is similar to a Supreme Court acceptance - you're there till you die. Just kidding. I think. Am I Jen?), I got really overwhelmed. How in the world were we going to find enough people to greet during two services in two different areas each week? That's essentially four teams each week. Four weeks a month. 12 months a year. That's a lot of people. I got a little stressed. Cause I never do that otherwise...
And then, we had church this week. We have gone from a ministry of two (Jerome & I) to fifteen in three hours. We approached people we thought would be fun, welcoming, and available. And they said yes. We have four couples (not counting us), with a fifth still considering, and six middle schoolers and high schoolers. Kayla, our new youth pastor's amazing young daughter, helped us this morning, and is willing to take over one service for the next 4 weeks. We have the Three Musketeers (or Stooges) - three of our high school boys, who are going to join. Couples that weren't serving elsewhere on Sunday mornings.
The best part is that I still have a list of people to ask that is still longer than our list of people who've joined us. I am so excited to see where God is going to take this - a group of people who might otherwise not have known each other, serving together because it is needed. Isn't that what a church is supposed to do? Help where you're needed.
I have seen the potential this morning. I have seen how to get people involved. And I'm hooked. I wish everyone would find a place to serve in their church. You want to meet people? You want to make friends? You want to feel needed? Then serve. Somewhere. Anywhere. But, if you go to TRC, I'd prefer that you serve with us... cause our ministry is the best. Not that I'm biased or anything. But we're going to have the most fun. And I am giddy to see where God is going to take it!
P.S. - And, J team, I'm not feeling as overwhelmed anymore. Although I am racing to get to the QuissenSaunderDolbeeBerrys before you do.

3 comments:

Glimmerchick - Unplugged said...

Yo Tiff, I totally honest and fully believe that when people take their gifts and talents like you and Jerome have done and apply them in areas of the church that God would have them be BOTH the ministry and the person serving are blessed in so many awesome ways by God. I see God just clapping and excited to see you step out in faith for this new ministry. It will impact our church SO MUCH and I am so excited to have you be the leaders of it. You are truly our greeter pastors who love on parents, kids and families. You find others who enjoy it too... I'm so uber excited to see how God just floods this ministry with people who are as hospitable and wonderful as you and your family. And just so you know.. if the Quiessensaunderdolbeeberrys want to do what you do and love on people in our church... then go for it. God will work so mightily in all of it. I'm EXCITED! :) Thank you for being you. I am so thankful you are my friend... who we can "suck" into being a riverGUIDE! :)

Miss. Jinny said...

Welcome to the J team we are so excited to have you both! Now we are the JT team what fun we are going to have! :) You guys rock as these river guides and I love it! :) I love seeing you guys in the hall welcoming people as they come! :) I love you both! :) And let the games begin I will take you on anytime let the race for the Q,S,D kids begin! :) hehehe! :)

Megan said...

Okay, so even though I would LOVE to have a rumor spreading around that it was my husband who taught Lily "Holy Crap" I must stop the rumor mill and admit that it was me and my potty mouth :-) Better clean that one up!! Ha ha.