Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 10, 2009

Parades, Fireworks, and Birthday Cakes!

WARNING: LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!



I love the 4th of July! It is, I think, the only holiday where you get to spend the entire day as a family, just having fun. You don't have to worry or stress about all the other stuff that goes along with the other holidays. And, it's my mom's birthday. Double bonus!

Every year, we do the same thing for the 4th. I know, I know. Boring to you. But so fun for us!

We got the girls up and dressed in their special shirts and had breakfast before leaving the house. Daddy also bought the girls new sunglasses, so we had to try them out.












After breakfast, we loaded up the minivan and headed to Bayfield. It's a little town outside of Durango, and filled with patriotic spirit. Every year they have a pet parade, parade, town fair, and fireworks show. We got to Bayfield by 8:15. The parade didn't start till 10 - but we had to make sure we got our good spots!

Kate (our friends' Mark & Jill's daughter) and Madison entertained themselves quite well waiting for the parade. I walked down the street and bought homemade strawberry & rhubarb jam from one of the church's women's groups. Yum!







We always sit in front of the Pine River Valley Times office, the local newspaper. This year, they gave all the kids free cookies! Oh happy day! This is, from left to right, Celine (Jerome's sister), Katrina, our niece Vanessa, and Madi.







Apparently, Madison took the parade very seriously this year.







Violet didn't really care much for the parade. Once she was shot with a water cannon, she was pretty much grumpy for the rest of the time.







After the parade we walked down to the fair. I find it entertaining that Celine, age 15, and Vanessa, age 8, are the same height.







Madison insisted upon walking with Papa, which I didn't mind because it made a cute picture. He is a Shriner, and every year they ride their little trucks, the Tin Lizzies, in the parade. This year, they all lined up in front of Mom DURING THE PARADE, stopped, and sang her Happy Birthday in front of everyone. She acted embarrassed, but I think she secretly enjoyed it.







While at the fair we bought a whole herd of snow cones for some very hot and tired girls...







then went back to my folks house for some ribs...






...and brownie cupcakes.




















The granddaughters "helped" Grandma open her presents...






Then we headed to the high school to watch the fireworks. But what fireworks display would be complete without a trip to the bathroom...






...glowsticks...






... and a little snack?





"Goldfish? What Goldfish?"
Hope you and yours had a safe and fun 4th of July. God bless America!

























































































































































2 comments:

Miss. Jinny said...

To cute! :)

Susan Mudry-McDaniel said...

Quite adorable. Oh how I miss that place and you guys. One day this fall I have to make it down. PS- I didn't know white people got happy for ribs. Seriously, out East it must be a strage thing, cause family and friends always think my moms family is crazy since they without fail have ribs, even @ Thanksgiving. Along will the usual Turkey Day fixins.