Every family has members that get less attention than others. Those members work hard, day in and day out, to make sure the home runs smoothly. They never ask for anything in return - the happiness of the family is paramount.
I think these heros need recognition. Because that is what they are - heros.
Tonight is the first installment in what I hope to turn into a series here. This hero is near and dear to one family member in particular, especially tonight.
Meet Buster
Buster is Violets buddy. He was given to her during, I think, her hospital stay a year and a half ago. He has not left her side since. For a long time, Buster literally went everywhere with us. He was the first stuffed animal that, for her, had a name. Nowadays, Buster has his place every night with Violet in bed. They have a routine.
Violet crawls up into bed and flops down on the pillow. We spend a couple of minutes searching through the sheets to see where Buster is hiding. Usually he is hiding between the bed and the wall. He is a really good hider. Then, he sneaks out from his hiding spot and attacks Violet with a flurry of kisses. After a lot of smooches and giggles, the two snuggle down together for a peaceful sleep.
On nights like tonight (yes, I am really writing this at midnight), I am especially grateful for Buster. Violet had an asthma attack tonight, her first since we started her on the S*ngulair this spring. She gets pretty scared when she is having an attack - she is still too little to really be able to express how she feels and understand what is happening. This one, unfortunately, involved a treatment from the nebulizer because it wasn't going away on its own.
Buster was right there with Violet the whole time. He snuggled her, even got a bit of albuterol himself. Then, when Violet was calm enough to go back to bed, he snuggled up with her. I cannot believe the comfort and joy that a tiny stuffed animal could bring to our tiny lady. But I am grateful.







3 comments:
UGH - from just thinking this was a terrifically sweet post, it sure had a goosebumpy segment! I am so glad she's okay.
And I always wished Itty Bit had picked a lovey... but unfortunately that simply entailed a rotation of heavy equipment toys.
Love her expression while she's squeezing Buster!
I don't know what we would do without Lula Mae's lovey. Those things really are life savers! Lula Mae has a monkey blanket from when she was born. I actually bought a second one in case the original gets lost! LOL She would not know how to sleep without it!
I didn't know she had a problem with asthma! Poor little thing! I hope she doesn't have any more of those nasty attacks!
I am with Rachel... that face is just too cute! You can tell that she really loves him!
I think stuffed animals are some of the very best heroes. And friends. I know they were at our house!
Post a Comment