My children slept that long. Please don't hate me.
I took the opportunity to read blogs. And fill my Amazon wish list with new books for my kindle (hint hint Handsome Realtor Man). And fill my
And do nothing.
This morning, total Proverbs 31 woman.
That is, after the kids and I got up. At 9. Please don't hate me. We totally wore them out with the random trip of chaos this weekend (more on that tomorrow), so we were all exhausted.
But, this morning, I unpacked from the trip, got caught up on the laundry, helped the kids sort their toys and books into Keep, Give Away, and Toss piles (Love that my children willingly and joyfully give their possessions away. Disturbed that the toys seem to be procreating of their own volition.), and found more treasures for my china cabinet. Oh yeah, I haven't mentioned the china cabinet yet, have I?
When my dad came home from Vietnam, he decided to go to college on the GI bill down in a little town called Durango. Needing a job, he began working at a little furniture shop on Main called Wilson's Furniture. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson became, over time, a second set of parents for my dad. They provided much wisdom and support over the years.
The first piece of furniture my mom and dad purchased for my grandparents was from Wilson's. It was a beautiful dark wood and glass china cabinet. I don't remember my grandmas house without that cabinet. It always held the good dishes, the fancy cups, the cake topper from their 50th wedding anniversary. Memories.
I can close my eyes and picture where it was in this house. I have never known my life at her house without it.
After my grandma passed away, my dad, aunts, and uncles have slowly been going through her house. Sorting, separating, divvying up. It has been hard, emotional work. When my dad asked me if I would like her cabinet, there was no way I could say no.
The beautiful cabinet, with so many memories, now proudly sits in my living room. My own good china, purchased by my parents when I was a baby, is proudly displayed on the top shelf. My grandmas tea cups, and that precious cake topper, is now on the second. I am eager to fill it with our familys treasures.
But now, the children have awoken from their marathon nap, Handsome Realtor Man is home for a few hours before his softball game, dinner needs fixing (gotta love leftovers), and I must redeem myself for these last few hours.
But, sometimes, its good to fail.





8 comments:
Oh, the sweet success of wasted moments, lol! I love these bits of failure and choose to live with them at least once or twice a week!
I seem to fail all the time:o)
does that mean I'm great????? *snort*
Girl, that is no fail. You totally deserve a break. I know you had a fabulous but crazy weekend. I am just so blessed that you included us in it. I miss miss you and I hope that you have a fabulous week:)
The china cabniet sounds a-may-zing!
Love those sentimental treasures!
And I am madly jealous of your free time! :)
I think everyone needs a lazy morning every now and then! I must check out Oriental Trading company for some school bribes! :)
I will agree with Rachel, I am quite jealous of your free time (considering you have 3 little ones!) Right now I am listening to the crying of one baby and the yelling of another toddler... oh and it's nap time... sigh.... I just finished cutting in (paint talk) the guest bathroom and just sat down for the first time TODAY! Think of me next time you get such marvelous quite time ;-)
You are right, it is very good to fail sometimes!
If that's failing, I want to do it more often. :) That, my sweet friend, is not looking a gift horse in the mouth!
I love the story of the china cabinet. Such a treasure.
Are you ready to jump into school? What curriculum are you using?
Post a Comment