Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Catching Up

Well howdy!  It has been a long week.  Jerome comes home tomorrow, Praise You Jesus!  Our home group was wonderful and brought us more food than we could possibly eat yesterday and today.  My friends are such a blessing.  I didn't know how much I did not want to cook until I didn't have to.  They are such a blessing.


Madi is doing okay as long as she is distracted.  Otherwise, we have waterworks.  Lots and lots of waterworks.  She is also still having nightmares, so what little sleep I am getting is interrupted by a scared daddy's girl.


Violet has keyed in to her big sister's sensitive state and has made it her goal to find new ways to torture Madi.  Which makes my life interesting on a moment-by-moment basis.


Katrina had her best day yet today.  She was not allowed to eat or drink after 8pm last night for her test this morning (more on that later), so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.  She had very little pain all morning.  After she was allowed to eat, the pain returned.  It wasn't as intense, but it was still there.  We also started her on Prevacid, a medicine used to treat ulcers and acid reflux, on Tuesday.  So I'm not sure right now if this episode is fading on it's own, if the pain is minimized due to being NPO for over 12 hours, or if the Prevacid is working.  So, here's what we know so far:


Blood Tests: All negative. No mono, no anemia, normal kidney, liver, and pancreas function. No food allergies, no household allergies. The only airborne allergies are to Kentucky bluegrass and cedar trees. Duh. Everyone else in CO is allergic to these. And everyone, including Kat, have problems in the spring. Runny nose, stuffy sinuses. Cedar trees aren't a problem in the fall. So we know that's not it.




Poop Tests: We don't have all the results back yet. But we know we don't have any parasites. So no friends living in her intestines.



Cultures: Both urine and strep were negative.



We did an upper GI scan at the hospital this morning. That's where you drink the barium and they x-ray your abdomen. It was actually really cool (nerd mom). Katrina wants to get copies of the x-rays to show her class (nerd kid).  We should have the results from that and the rest of the poop results tomorrow.  



We have an appointment set at Children's for Nov 10th. If we find something we can't take care of here, or we don't find any answers, our doc might try to call up there and see if we can't get the appt moved up.



If we have ruled out every other possibility, then the only diagnosis left is abdominal migraines. They tend to occur in girls who have a family history of migraines.  Which we do.  Essentially, they are migraines in your stomach.  Which is yucky because it is something you just have to learn to deal with. And kids with AMs as children are much more likely to develop regular migraines as adults.



So, we will hopefully know more tomorrow, and maybe have a cause that we can work with. Ugh.  My brain is exhausted, so I think I am going to turn off the computer now and just sit.  Please forgive me if I have not left comments lately.  My brain is mush.

11 comments:

Rachel said...

WE LOVE YOU!

And are glad Jerome is coming home too. No more timely business trips during stool collection schedule...

And your first paragraph made me laugh. I'm not sure ANYONE can make me more food than I can eat ;)

By the way... I miss the pictures of the girls on the sidebar. Now I have to keep scrolling up to your header every time you mention a certain one - just to picture it for reals!

Praying for answers. For COMPLETE HEALING for your little girl. For peace, rest, painfree days and nights. Thank you Father that you hear our cries.

Love you - thank you for updating us.

Brandi said...

I hope you will have answers soon, as well as a fix, for Kat's tummy troubles.

I've had so many barium x-rays done, I probably still glow (and they are neat to watch). How in the heck did hey get her to drink the contrast??? Bleck!

Glad hubby will be back today! YAH! :)

Jill said...

I've never heard of abdominal migraines. How crazy they are! Whatever it is I'm praying they figure it out soon and she's on her way to recovering. So glad J-rock gets home tonight. Daddies are the best (especially for mommies!). :)

{Kimber} said...

abdominal migraines? wow...I didn't know there even was such a thing!
poor baby...I hope y'all get answers soon

HeatherOz said...

Hang in there Mama! Still prayin'!

Kimberly Beach said...

Hang in there! It gets easier! We're at Children's Nov. 2! Whew! And Dec. 6 and 8th. . . .

Dawn said...

Wow, I'm really far behind. I feel bad for the tummy problems - my adult son has severe stomach issues and has had every test known to man. Nothing found. I heard about candida recently, and it describes him to a tee. We'll see.

Amy said...

It is totally ok that your brain is mush dear. We all love you. I can't wait to hear something from the tests. I pray that they bring something!

Woohoo on the hubby coming home! I know you are all very excited! I bet he is JUST as excited!

Julie said...

What did you find out?? Been praying for your little sweetie! I am a nurse and have NEVER heard of abdominal migraines. How horrible! Is the prevacid working?? Prevacid worked wonders on my own irritable bowel!

He & Me + 3 said...

yikes... that is a lot for one little girl to go through and what it is pointing to does not sound fun. Poor thing. Glad hubs will be home soon.

Kari said...

I've never heard of AM before...interesting. I was glad to see the other stuff come back negative!
I also love the Nerd Mom and Nerd Kid :o)