And in case you don't speak fluent Violet, I will provide the translation:
Great Grandpa Blume!
Yes, that's right. Jerome's 90-year-old grandpa drove with a friend all the way from Indiana to come see us. He rocks like that.
We are, just now, starting to see him age. His mind is still as sharp as ever, but his body moves just a bit slower. Mind you, he still keeps up and runs circles around guys half his age, but he is slowing down a bit - for him.
We didn't tell the girls until Monday evening that he was coming. That way, the nanny only had one day of insanity. Oh, by the way, the nanny is starting her own blog! She and her husband are beginning the process of adopting from Uganda. You can read her blog here. She also has an Etsy page here where she is raising money by selling her beautiful hand made children's hats and women's jewelry. Yes, my children are her models. I can speak from personal experience that the hats are wonderful for kids, and her jewelry is exquisite. She doesn't have the jewelry up yet, but she will soon. It is stunning, and so unique. I have a few pieces...
Anywho, back to Grandpa. Last night we went downtown for dinner with him. The girls were so excited. Violet kept hugging and snuggling him all night. Katrina told him every last detail about school (even though he didn't hear much of it - darn hearing aids), and Madi just giggled. Kat is the only one who really remembers Grandpa. The last time we saw him was for this wedding in Indiana right before Violet's first birthday. But, nonetheless, our girls were giddy to show Great Papa all their new tricks.
I just noticed we have one kid in long sleeves, one in short sleeves, and one in a tank. Gotta love Colorado fall!
I love my granddaddy-in-love. He is such a sweet man. Ornery, for sure, like most of his generation. But such a gentle sweetheart. We talked about my parents' ranch (he used to be a vet), about our fruit trees (he has a massive orchard), and about the girls. I think he reminds me of my granddaddy. I am so grateful to have him. And so is Violet.
We aren't sure how long Grandpa will be staying here. It all depends on his friend's schedule. But, while we have him, we are going to enjoy him.





6 comments:
Awww! I love the captures of the kids crawling all over their Great Papa!
It is one of the sad things of my life that my grandfather only ever knew me as childless. He passed away a few years before our miracle baby.
So great that your girls get to love on him!
What isn't that a cute picture!!!!
It makes me miss my grandparents so much. I wish they had the chance to meet my kiddos. All in good time I guess. They will reunite again in a wonderful place! So glad that your girls get to enjoy him and all his cuteness! Gah he's cute!!!!!!!!
What a sweet time! I love the memories my kids are making with Doug's grandparents. So mcuh more special since my mother-in-law passed away and they will forever be missing her.
He looks like a special man. How long did the drive from Indiana take? Doug and I want to drive out there with the kids (we live in the Indy area), but are a little scared to try it with all the little ones. ;)
My heart is so warmed by those pictures! What an awesome gift that he is still so sharp and lively! I sincerely hope my papa reaches that age and still has everything yours does.
How fun! So neat to have a Great Grandparent around!
Sounds like a great visit and a wonderful man!
Post a Comment