Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chrismas Shopping With Purpose

I have found my Christmas mojo.  Last week, when Jerome asked me what we were getting everyone for Christmas, I said, "Nothing.  I don't even want to go there.  Don't talk to me about it.  Shush."


Yes, I know.  Bah Humbug!


Every year I would obsess about finding just the right present, what they would like, what I have given them in the past few years.  And it stressed me out.  But, wow, have I had a realization this week!  I love to receive presents that have a story, or a purpose, behind them.  A reason.  And I am sure our family and friends feel the same. 


And there are so many people who, especially in this economy, still feel God's pull to bring home a precious orphan.  My heart has done a 180 on adoption since our pastors arrived at our church.  I have met precious children who have come home to their forever families.  I have held them.  I have snuggled them.  They have stolen my heart. 


And I thought, perhaps, my bloggy friends were looking for a little more purpose and meaning behind their gifts this year as well. 


So, here are a couple of ways and families you can help:


Our nanny Sara and her husband are working towards adopting their first from Africa.  She makes stocking caps and beautiful jewelry.  You can find her Etsy site here.  She is adding new pieces daily, so keep checking back.  But I would suggest doing it quickly, as I plan on raiding her stock this Sunday for my presents.  BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!


Also, our pastor's wife has a post on her blog completely dedicated to families trying to adopt.  Each link in the post is a family raising money for adoption through creative endeavors.  There is literally something for everyone!  You can go here for her Shopping With a Purpose post. 


UPDATE:  My new bloggy friend Laura pointed me towards a friend of hers.  Chris and Lindsey adopted a sweet little girl from Guatemala.  Lindsey was recently diagnosed with Lyme Disease after a 3 year battle to find a diagnosis.  They are selling anything and everything they can think of, and accepting donations to help with their medical expenses as well.


If you know of someone selling their wares for a purpose, be it adoption, medical costs, etc, please send me a link.  I would love to include it in this post.


The knowledge that a present I purchased to bless someone else is working towards bringing home a sweet babe is well worth the time, in my eyes.

9 comments:

Amy said...

So very touching. I love this post so much. My cousin (more like my brother) and his wife (more like my best friend) are in the process of trying to adopt. Seeing what they have gone through with infertility and seeing how hard the process has been is tough. I know it is 1000 times tougher for them, but watching from the side lines, being about to do nothing, is tough too. I am so glad that you have a heart for this. It is something that most people just don't think about and it is great that you posted about it!

Christmas for us is centered around Christ. We are very Christmas spirited, but we just don't care about what presents we get. It isn't about that. Try not to get stressed out this year. Just sit back and enjoy your family :-)

Rachel said...

Love this post too!

And I am giggling - you'll find out why later.

But ohmyohmy - precious little heads those hats are covering!!! I think I saw one of my favorite sweet girls!

Shana Putnam said...

This is so awesome! What a wonderful way to bless someone. I think that you are such a sweet lady. I am very glad to "know" you also!!

Michelle Pixie said...

I am right there with you as this is what I am doing this year too. A gift with a deep meaning and purpose! :)

Dawn said...

Such great ideas - I definitely have to do something different this year - I can't even bear the thought of shopping. But there are these 4 little girlies, you know. I wish all the adults in my life would make a no-gift pact!

Laura Ickes said...

http://www.projectlymeaid.blogspot.com/- This is a link to a friend that is fighting lyme disease and is trying to raise money to pay for her medical bills...They have a daughter that they adopted from Guatemala.

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on this post!!! Congrats on winning the giveway at Rachel's blog!

Hyacynth said...

Thank you so much for posting these links and planting this seed in my mind. I just love giving gifts that are two fold.
:)

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Okay, WOW!! I needed this tonight!! Thank you thank you thank you for even caring about my story...it means the world to me. I will be posting a lot of brand new clothes soon. Your family is precious!!

Blessings,
Lindsey Wheeler