... after driving 7 1/2 hours through snow storms. Yup, that is what I got to do yesterday....
... after winning the meanest mom of the year award for waking Sleeping Beauty far too early and not letting her have anything to eat or drink.
... after driving completely across the greater Denver metropolis in the snow during rush hour to get to the hospital on time.
... after having our amazing friend greet us at the hospital entrance, coffee in hand.
... after sitting in the waiting room, so grateful for all the things my baby did not have to go through, and praying for all the babies that had it so much worse than mine.
... after watching my kid be SO STINKIN BRAVE during the CT scan, and only flinch a little when the IV accidentally fell out while she was using the restroom.
... after collecting poop samples in the Old Navy restroom. Saint Poopicus returns! It never fails. Take the kid to Old Navy, look at clothes, poop within 15 minutes (usually when I find something cute for me).
... after returning said poop samples to the lab. So happy that is not my job!
... after driving back across the greater Denver metropolis to retrieve my water bottle from the house we stayed at.
... after getting stuck in traffic on the highway out of town for 30 minutes only to realize that the stop to get my water bottle probably saved our lives - horrific accident due to fog that we missed by literally minutes.
We made really good time, considering. Wolf Creek, the big pass we had to cross, was horrible. Kat was asleep, so I just kept plowing on. The snow plows hadnt been able to get all the way through because so many people were off the side of the road, or flipped over. I was very excited when we got off the pass, to say the least.
We woke this morning to Katrina removing the rest of the CT contrast from her body in a rather ... ahem ... violent manner. Both ways. I love the smell of Lysol in the morning. So, we stayed home. She was pretty puny, and the littles desperately needed mommy snuggles, so it was deemed movie and coloring day. I got NOTHING done.
The doc and I had a long talk this morning. She felt horrible when I told her how Katrina and I felt after the appointment. We realized that she did not explain the diagnosis well at all. The CT scan was completely normal, so we are looking at two options. One is the abdominal migraines. The other is something called Functional Abdominal Pain Syndrome. Essentially, some children have extremely sensitive nerves in their abdomen. They sense pain faster and stronger than other children. There is no cure, but most children grow out of it on their own. These are also children who are typically more sensitive emotionally than other children, which Katrina is.
The plan is to have a prescription of Maxalt, the migraine medicine that worked, on hand in case we need it. We will also be meeting with our pediatrician to discuss therapy to teach her coping and relaxation techniques. Once I found out it was nerve related, my first thought was to talk to a friend of ours who is a chiropractor. Please pray for my heart in this. I have struggled to trust chiropractors most of my life. And trusting one with my daughter is a huge step of faith for me.
So, how do I feel? Relieved and frustrated. Relieved that there is nothing huge wrong. Frustrated that I cannot take her pain away or make it better. Relieved that, finally, someone is listening to my daughter and taking her seriously.





11 comments:
Friend, that last sentence is an answer to prayer.
The last thing Kat needed was to feel like no one was listening.
Praying for her and for you and Jerome as you make decisions. Praying that God will bring the right people to your doorstep.
Glad you made it home safe!
I cringed at your description of the pass and the weather. Good gracious!
I'm glad you made it home safely. You all will be in my prayers. :)
It sounds like such good news! (Besides the yucky driving part)
I am praising Him that Kat does not have something serious. I know it still is not a great "answer" but it is better than the alternative. I can only imagine the battle in your heart for her though. Wanting so badly to just hurt for her instead of having to watch her go through this. I am so glad that someone is finally listening to that sweet girl. God is going to help her be heard, and He is going to provide relief for her when you can't dear friend. He is faithful. I know you probably do, but teach Kat to just stop and pray when she feels her pains. Teach her early that God can handle anything. Teaching our children to trust God is so important. I know you are already doing that ;-)
After reading this I had to just pray. Then, I had to read it again. I am so glad you made it safely. You are a good Momma bear. A very good one indeed.
Always praying for you! I can't wait to get to pray with you in person someday! Get some rest!
Sounds like a horrific trip - and angels watching over you. I had no idea it was so bad on the roads - we got a bit of snow that the kiddoes loved. Mostly gone now.
So glad some progress was made!
Oh. My. Gracious. Just because of the mountain driving I don't think I could ever move to CO. I am so glad you all are safe. Hopefully you get to stay put for a few days. It sounds like everyone could use some rest.
I was so hoping for answers, but am grateful along with you that there is nothing serious going on.
Glad you are home safe! What a crazy trip! Movie and coloring day was definitely in order! *Big Hugs* for all of you!
I love the new layout!! I haven't been by for a while, is it brand new or am I just late for the party (as usual) Lol
What's going on? What caused the need for the CT?
Of all the time for you to have to be in Denver - the only day it has snowed since May!
Sorry the contrast made her sick. I thought I was going to vomit while I was drinking 20 ounces of it - mixed in with powdered lemondade - yuck!
As for chiropractors - if you have a good one I think they are amazing. I worked at a Chiropractor's office as an assistant and there was nothing but integrity and care involved. True desire to see the clients live a better life.
You will have peace with what to do. God is good.
I'm so very glad that there is nothing seriously wrong. And I'm so very glad that someone listened. That's important. We all need to be taken seriously, validated.
Post a Comment