
Sunday, we headed home from our annual trip to Phoenix. We ran into snow in Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado. I love our weather. Thankfully, it didn't start sticking until we hit the CO state line. But blowing snow in NM is fun too.
We were just a few miles from our house, following behind my dad. They were behind a small white pickup. For some reason known only to God, SWP decided to test the off-road capabilities of their truck on a snow-packed and iced-over highway. They slipped off the side of the road, overcorrected, tried to flip, then fishtailed for a while before straightening out.
My parents started to come to a stop quickly when the chaos started. I tried. Their ginormous 4X4 stops much better on ice than my little front-wheel drive minivan rocketship. I started sliding.
You know those moments of extreme clarity? Where your mind races, but in a good way?
I had a choice - middle of the road, or towards the ditch. I chose a soft slide into the ditch over 360s in the middle of a highway. In fact, we slided in so softly, the kids didn't even realize what had happened. But we were stuck.
A state patrol officer stopped almost immediately. He, Jerome, and my dad tried to push the van back onto the highway, to no avail. And, of course, this was the first time my dad did not have a tow chain in the back. And no one we flagged down had one either.
Finally, Jerome called a buddy who lives near us. He hopped in his car with his chain and headed our way. Right as our friend neared our car, an entire truck full of college students pulled over to help. They didn't have a tow chain, but they did have muscle to spare. They literally lifted the front of my van and pushed it back onto the highway. Then they jumped in their car and left.
After we got home, the girls started calling those kids our snow angels. I think the name fits.





10 comments:
Whee! So glad you made it in with a story! And what a tale!
I am cracking up thinking of them lifting your car and putting you back on your way!
And after my own experience of a cough possibly saving Itty Bit's life - maybe God placed you exactly there to keep you out of harm's way for a bit!
Glad you made it back safe and with a few new heroes!
Wow. I am glad you guys are ok and I love that you all are calling them snow angels. Precious. That ice can be a tricky thing huh?
I love the idea of Snow Angels. How nice of them to use their youthful muscles and good will to help. So glad you're okay. That's one of those things afterwards when you can't sleep thinking of what could have happened. Besides the snow angels you must have had a few others on duty making sure you didn't get hurt when your car slid.
I'm so glad y'all are safe. This Texan would've 360ed all over the place!
Oooo were they cute? Give them my number! O wait, I'm too old for college guys. Poop.
O yea and I'm glad you are safe and all that jazz. ;o)
You need to know that those guys were a blessing. Our friend David is a "Snow Angel" as well though. Another adventure just for what "TRUE STORY TUESDAY" ordered.
How incredibly sweet! Glad God placed angels all along your path to keep you safe!
First of all I am glad no one was hurt! Second... I can't believe there are still good people like that left in this world. That is great! God knows just where to place us all at every moment to make His plan work. And how wonderful that Jerome had a buddy who was willing to jump right in an head your way to help. Friends like that are few and far between, but are priceless!
Where in the world did you get snow. We still have none in town. It's going to be 60 degrees today. Doesn't feel right!
Glad you're okay. Snow angels. Love it!
The only thing I don't miss about snow. The smartie pants that don't know how to drive in it! Bless their hearts. I'm so glad your snow story had a happy ending!
Post a Comment