Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A long day

My brain is pooped.  My body is pooped.  And the bed is yelling at me.  So I will make this quick.


Today started off wonderfully.  We met the amazing Kari at S*arbucks so I could personally deliver her prize.  Yes, Brandi, she is just as amazing in person.  Like, really.  I could go on and on and gush for a while, but I don't want to embarrass her.  But, seriously, I had a ton of fun.  Sadly, Bella was in school, but I did get to meet Scout.  He is ADORABLE!  Almost two and full of energy!  Kari thought he was misbehaving, but I thought he was precious. 


And Kat did a pretty good job taking a photo of the two of us, don't you think?




Now, Rachel, no more whining about the lack of Tiff photos on the blog, ya hear?


After coffee, we met my sis-in-love, her mom, and my niece and nephew at the Children's Museum.  It was incredible.  And I will devote an entire post to it, when I have the functional brain cells.


Then, we headed to the hospital.  We met with the GI doctor.  Have you ever had that feeling that you weren't being taken seriously?  Yup, we got that sense pretty quick with her.  She told me that our pediatrician had done an excellent job ordering all the tests she would have ordered (cant argue that point), and that since they were all normal, she was having stomach pain because she was internalizing stress and worry (functional abdominal pain).  That since the pain seemed to be getting better the last few days, we should head home in the morning, but call the clinic if it came back or got worse.  But that most of these kids feel better once they know all the tests have been run and that there isn't anything really wrong. 


Excuse me?  I drove 8 hours for that?


Needless to say, it didn't sit well with mama.


So, then we had a conversation.  A conversation about how many labs and tests our local hospital has messed up with children, our own child included.  A conversation about how our pediatrician sent us here because he suspected that some of the test results were inaccurate.  A conversation about how she didn't even look completely through the test results I had brought up to see what had been done, and the inconsistencies in them.  A conversation about the licensed counselors and therapists we have been talking to, to make sure she wasn't internalizing stress or developing perfectionism issues, like her Mom. 


It is only by the grace of God that I was able to get through the appointment without crying or hitting something.  Believe me, I thought about it.  Katrina started crying when the doctor was talking about the functional abdominal pain, and the worrying.  It didn't click at the time why she was crying.  It should have.  We (and others) have questioned her so many times throughout this about worries, fears, stresses, etc., that she has struggled with whether or not people believe her.  She is afraid people think she is making this up.  She knew the doctor didn't believe her when tried to tell her she wasn't worried, or afraid, or stressed about anything.  And that broke my heart.


The doctor asked me why a CT scan wasn't done before.  When I told her it was because our pediatrician didn't trust our hospital to do it right on a child, the conversation changed.  She had us go downstairs for more blood tests, since apparently some of the tests we have already run are really easy to mess up.  While we were down there, her nurse got us scheduled for a CT scan tomorrow morning.  I have the joy of collecting more poop in a cup - the return of Saint Poopicus!


And if I am going to be functional AT ALL, I need to get some sleep.  I talked to a few of my girlfriends tonight on the phone.  They helped the mama bear claws retract.  I was slightly fit to be tied.  A wonderful family friend is meeting us at the hospital in the morning with coffee.  Because she knows what it is like to wait in a hospital, and didn't want me to do it alone.  I got to talk to our other two precious princesses, and found out they are having a fabulous time with Daddy.  Because Daddy takes them to get Frosties and lets them stay up late.  Whatever.  I got to cry out my frustrations over the phone with my sweet hubby, who loves me even when I snot.  No matter what, I have reasons to be grateful.

10 comments:

Jan said...

Ugh! Yuck! Here's hoping for some answers today!

Shana Putnam said...

I am glad you got through to the doc. I know how it feels to have a doc not believe you and that sucks. Maybe something will show in the tests so you guys can get this figured out. I am definitely praying for you all and special prayers for little sweetie pie.

Rachel said...

I don't even know where to start.

Except to say THANK YOU JESUS that Kat is with you.

Can you imagine if she was in pain like that and her mother simply let the doctors convince her of something her gut didn't agree with?

He gave you that Mommy instinct for a reason and I am praying for absolute wisdom on what you are to say, what you are to request, and what you are to not waver from.

You know what? Dang it, God can even give YOU knowledge. So right now I am praying that God will give YOU knowledge of what is happening inside your daughter's body. Asking that He will send you to the person that you need to speak to, to get answers (even if it is an offhand remark by the CT tech or the Starbucks barista).

My heart is so sad at the thought of Kat feeling unbelieved. (Because I can speak, people often don't believe I can't hear - it's a lose/lose situation and I can feel her frustration).

And of course - I am praying for complete healing for your girl.


And asking God if I can please be the next bloggy friend you meet for coffee!

(I love the picture, you're just missing someone in it!)

I love you sweet friend - continuing to pray for answers.

Angie Vik said...

I've known some wonderful doctors and I've known some with the personality and compassion of an Asian Beetle. I don't expect doctors to know everything but I do expect them to listen and truly be concerned and to take my mother's heart and intuition seriously. I commend you for asserting yourself and sticking up for your daughter. May God continue to give you strength and wisdom to be your daughter's advocate.

Diana said...

Hopping over from Kari's to visit. Sending up prayers that you get results ffrom those tests. It's hard enough when you have to be assertive and aggressive when making sure the right care is given for an adult (as I do for my disabled husband), but it's even more so when it's a child (yep, been there, too). God love you and give you comfort and strength as you work on getting things done for your girlie... remember the Lord is always with you. ♥

Mrs. M said...

I am so sorry for all of this Tiffany. It is awful when you just KNOW something is not right about your child. I've been through that with our middle child when he was a baby. For three years. Finally we discovered that he had a hearing problem.

Don't give up. You will be heard.

Kimberly Beach said...

Been there. We want immediate answers and dadgumit the silly doctors who can't see our frustration.

Hang in there. God is giving you wisdom. Listen.

And come home safely!

Amy said...

I just want to put Katrina in my pocket. I want to hug and squeeze her and hold her and kiss her. My heart really hurts for her.

You and the poop collecting. You should have a degree in that by now! LOL

Can I just say I am stoked to see a picture of you! More of that in the future please!!!!

Get some rest my dear, you and Kat both. You need it and deserve it.

Bethany said...

YAY for coffee with friends.

So very sorry that the dr. made things hard for you and Kat. I know you both are held securely in the Father's hands and will continue to pray for you and answers and for His glory to shine through you. (How's that for a run on sentence?) I am so grateful you have friends to come and love on you.
"Now unto Him who is able to keep you from falling..." Praying He will lift and sustain you all through this difficult season.

Kari said...

I LOVED meeting you and having coffee. HOpefully it was a good way to start your day. Sorry the visit to the hospital didn't start off right, but I'm so glad you were persistent. That's they way we need to me. We have our best interest in mind, I don't think they always do. How sad that Kat thinks people will think she's making it up. She shouldn't have to feel that way!
Anxious to hear how the CT Scan goes!
Thank you for my gift and most of all the time to sit and visit with you!
Love you!