Now that I've done a few of these, the weird and embarrassing stories from my childhood are just flowing out of my memory. We have had a lot of laughs at Mom's expense in the last few weeks, to be honest. Go visit Rachel & Mr. Daddy for more unbelievable stories!

Growing up, we spent a LOT of time at Lake Powell. What? You've never been there? For shame! Well, here is what you are missing:
photos courtesy Google Images and my brother's FB page
Seriously, we spent almost every weekend from May to October there. My fondest, and most peaceful, memories from childhood are associated with this lake. I love Lake Powell.
I learned to ski at about 10. I have never been good/brave enough to slalom (be drug by a rope attached to a boat travelling 30 miles per hour on ONE tiny piece of fiberglass). Nope, not that dumb brave. But I still love to ski. It is so peaceful, but challenging at the same time.
This particular weekend (I was about 15) was perfect. There were very few people at the lake, so the water was like glass the entire weekend. When it was my turn, I put on my lifesaver, grabbed my skis, and jumped in.
When you yell "Hit it!", the initial pull from the boat is an adrenaline junkie's dream. You literally surge out of the water, leaning back as far as you can so that the pull of the boat doesn't make you do a faceplant. Believe me. I have done my fair share of faceplants. I can wipeout with the best of them. This time was smooth sailing.
I skied for a really long time. When my arms finally tired, I threw the rope and allowed my weight to slowly sink back into the lake. I took off my skis and handed them to my mom as Dad brought the boat back around. I swam to the back of the boat, grabbed the step ladder, and pulled myself aboard.
While Dad started to pull the rope in, I took off my lifejacket.
And realized I was naked from the waist up.
The blessed surge when the boat pulls you up? Yeah, It pulled my bikini bottom clear to my waist.
And my poor dad got a front-and-center view of just how grown up his little girl was.
I didn't ski much the rest of the weekend.
And I ALWAYS ski with a one-piece now.







10 comments:
Oh boy, that'll getcha in a one piece suit every time won't it! Poor Dad, I'm sure he wasn't real thrilled either. :D
Oh my goodness that is so funny! :) I love it thanks for the laugh! :)
:) I bet it's a story your dad will never forget too!
Neh-kidd!
Take me there!!!
Oh I never lost my top but I lost my bottoms!
Wow. Good choice on the one piece. That looks like a great place to vacation!
Oh no way! Oh no way! YIKES! Public nudity is bad enough, but in front of a parent is like some crazy nightmare!
Sorry... I tried not to giggle, but all I could manage was combining it with a really empathetic sigh... because I would have just crawled under a rock and hid for the rest of the weekend.
(And I made it up the very first time I ever tried waterskiing... I only stayed up for as long as I did because I was TERRIFIED TO DEATH of all the fish that were jumping out of the water around me!
Good times, yeah?
Thanks for being brave and sharing, hee hee! :)
Wonderful TST Tiffany! Thanks! I need some giggles today! :)
I did that "faceplant" thing the first time I tried water skiing(in Acapulco Bay) and it didn't occur to me to let go of the rope! It was, after all, my connection to the boat! Never got up enough nerve to try again! I also lost my bikini when I jumped off the roof of a tour boat into the ocean. The top came off on the way down and then as I was struggling to grab that on the way up the bottoms wound up around my ankles. Sheesh!
That is quite a story! yikes! I used to water ski, once upon a time ago, but always wore a one peice!
Post a Comment