The Dolbee Family

Adam, Brenda, Kayla, Kevin, and KC
I will admit, I was nervous about meeting the Dolbees. You see, Jerome and I had served in youth ministry since the dawn of the Jurassic Age. Ok, maybe not that long. But really, I think it was 10 years. And, when you are deeply involved in a ministry that long, it is very easy to think of it as your own. To put assumptions on the ministry that don't belong there. And, when the two previous pastors of said ministry are, in order, your closest friends and your brother, there is a certain attachment.
When we stepped down from the youth, I left a part of my heart there. I will always treasure teens. They have an energy that cannot be compared. I love them. But we knew it was time. But, in a sense, these were all my little brothers and sisters. And I wanted nothing but the best for them.
So, when we found out that Pastor Dwight had hired a Raiders fan to lead them, I knew it was time to pray. Hard.
Just kidding...sort of...
What a treasure this family has become, in just the short time they have been here. It was obvious from day one that God has called Kevin, Brenda, and the kids here to do an amazing work in this town's youth. They are real, they are honest, and they are willing to be in your face with God's truth. Exactly the combination, I believe, that will transform these young people.
Our growing friendship is proof that it is possible for all people to work together for the good of God's kingdom. I mean, seriously, a Raiders fan and a Broncos fan - as buddies? Who would have thought? But, really, this family is the genuine article.
Kevin and Brenda, I have completely fallen in love with. They are just real. There is nothing pretentious, nothing fake about them. Adam and KC are becoming like little brothers - it took them a grand total of 5 minutes to figure out all my pet peeves and use them against me! No, really, they are two wonderful young men who consistently bring a smile to my face. It is a joy to be around them. And Kayla, sweet Kayla. We have so much in common - the youngest child, Daddy's girls, football fans to the core. It is so fun and refreshing to be around her. And my children have fallen in love with her. Violet cannot wait to get to church so that Kayla will spoil her.
I see the vision God has given Kevin for these youth - the desire for them to escape average, to live the life God has called them to. And I'm getting excited. I cannot wait to see where these youth are headed, because Kevin and Brenda are training up a generation of world-changers, right here in our little church.
Thank you, Dolbees, for giving up so much of yourselves to obey God's call. I know it was not an easy decision to move here, and there have been times you have had to pay the price. Know that I am grateful. You are an amazing family.
And... P.S. GO BRONCOS!!!





1 comment:
Go Broncos! And yes, for Raiders fans they are some of the coolest people I know. They are absolutely a gift to our church, our youth and to us. I couldn't be happier with this high quality family to love teenagers and challenge the snot out of them. So thankful for them!
Post a Comment