Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thankful Thursday...The Palmers

**October is Clergy Appreciation Month. We are so blessed to have the pastoral staff that we do at our church. They are truly a gift from God. This month, each of my Thankful Thursday posts will feature one of these amazing families.**








The Palmer Family







I vividly remember the first time I met Mark. Jerome and I were in high school, and he had been trying to convince me to go to Power Lunch. It was a free lunch sponsored by some of the local churchs for the high schoolers. Well, I finally went, and got to meet Mark. Little did I know what a huge impact this meeting would have on my life.





You see, I was not a Christian when we were dating. Not even close. I guess the best way to describe my "religious" persuasion was ... well... witchcraft, combined with a little demonic worship. But, Jerome and Mark prayed for me, trusting that God had a bigger picture for our relationship.



A year and a half after we started dating, I accepted Christ. I asked Him to heal me of the deep wounds, forgive me for rejecting Him, and to love me like no other man ever had. I know that Mark's tenacious prayers for me were instrumental in my salvation, because I could literally feel my walls slowly crumbling in the light of God's grace.



A few years later, when Mark and Jill married, I was given a gift beyond compare. The gift of a friend. It had been many years since I had a true girlfriend. A woman I could trust, who I could confide in, who loved me for me. Jill has become that and more for me.



Mark and Jill have served in many different areas in our church, in many different facets. But, in everything they do, they serve with humbleness, honesty, integrity, and love. It is evident in everything they do that they truly love our church and the people in it.



Anyone can make superficial relationships, and pretend like that is enough. It takes a true friend to push beyond the surface, to discover the core of a person's being. Mark and Jill are that. They love beyond what is seen, to what is needed. They are not afraid to speak the truth, but gently love people through their yuck.



Mark and Jill, you know how much I love you. You are a treasure and a gift to me. I am so grateful that God crossed our paths so many years ago, because I would not trade our relationship for the world. Thank you for all you do for our church, and us. Please know that it does not go unnoticed.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Thanks for the cry :) You guys are incredibly sweet and wonderful. It's easy to be your friends! Love you! And I, too, am soooooo thankful you met Mark and eventually me. I can't imagine Durango without you!