Can it really be today?
Are you really four?
Wasn't it just yesterday that Adam and Kristin got married, and we were pregnant?
It seems like it was just yesterday. I still vividly remember feeling like a giant bowl of peach sherbet in my dress, waddling all over and trying to keep up with an energy-filled three-year-old flower girl.
It seems like yesterday Katrina insisted on snuggling with you every night before bed. She would kiss my stomach, talk to you, whisper jokes and stories. She was so excited to be a big sister she could hardly wait.
I still vividly remember when labor started. We had a csection scheduled for Aug 2, but you had a mind of your own. My labor started in the early morning on July 26. I waited as long as I could, thinking that it was going to stop, but by that evening we knew we needed to go in. Grandma came and stayed with Katrina and we went to the hospital at about 7 pm.
Yes, I know I was in labor for over 12 hours at that point. Yes, I know most women complete labor and birth a child within that time frame. I'm gifted, what can I say? My children hold on for dear life, apparently.
The doctor used the lame excuse that 2 weeks early was just too early to deliver in order to justify not getting his rear out of bed to come deliver a baby in the evening. Lazy bum. So, instead, he sent me home on meds that were supposed to stop contractions.
Those worked for about 4 hours.
You were bound and determined to come when you decided, and no doctor was going to tell you otherwise. The contractions cranked back up to full strength by 4 AM. We were sitting in the doctor's office waiting room right when they opened. I think at one point I threatened to perform my own csection in the cafeteria with a spoon if they didn't deliver you TODAY! I was just a bit tired.
And, in case you are keeping track, that is over 24 hours of steady, non-progressing labor. I love my children. And modern medicine. I am convinced I would have been one of those "died in childbirth" headstones in the pioneer cemeteries had I been born a century earlier.
Katrina was so excited for your arrival. When we kissed her goodbye on our way to the surgical suite, she cried and cried because she wanted to be there too.
She got to meet her baby sister, soon enough. In fact, she and Daddy were the first ones to hold you. And she proudly told everyone that you were her "baby sister Madison Lollypop Sucker". I have no clue where that name came from, but the nickname stuck!
You were precious, so sweet. I was in love from the first moment with your little button nose and tiny red lips.
You certainly tried my patience those first few weeks, but soon you grew into a happy, silly baby.
You have always been my little comedian.
And when it was your turn to be the big sister, you rose to the occasion beautifully.
You are my passionate, determined daughter.
You have lived a more full life in your short four years than most people live in their entire life. You go for life full throttle, and could honestly care less what other people think.

Your smiling face brightens my every morning.
You are learning to conquer your fears.
And enjoy the precious life God has given you.
You have become my little girlfriend.
My prayer is that, as you begin to walk the path God has laid out for you,
... that you will never forget what you have learned at this age. You are stong, little one. You are tougher than you think. You feel what others feel. We have always said that your friendships do not run wide, but deep. And it remains true. You are loyal without question to those who have earned your trust.
You are sweet, funny, and kind. You test my patience daily, but it is for good. You need to know where the boundaries are in your life, and you seek them. Thank you for challenging me to be strong enough to lead you.
I love you, my sweet princess. I pray your day is filled with joy and laughter. I pray your life is filled with the same.










16 comments:
Awww! Is it weird that I got all teary-eyed and just wanted to give that girl (and you) a great big hug through the screen??
Love the pictures, love the little girl is IS and is becoming!
Beautifully written my friend!
Happy Birthday sweetheart!
Okay I do have tears in my eyes from reading this post and thinking that I am not there to give her a great big birthday hug! Great post Tiff!
Madison you are a joy to all who meet. And your mommy is right when you let someone in they are in for life. You light up my day every time I see you and you squeal my name. Your personality cracks me up and I thank God that He gave you life and that He has a huge plan and purpose for your life. You are going to conquer great things for Him sweet girl and I am so excited to see what all He has in store for you and what all You have in store to advance His kingdom. It was such an honor to be your teacher and friend. I love you from the bottom of my heart and I can't wait to hold you in my arms and tell you in person how much I love you!
Happy Birthday sweet girl! Eat all the cake you want and take lots and lots of pictures! :)
Okay I should have know that I would cry. Happy Birthday Madi - you are growing into a beautiful women of God.
Happy Birthday Maddie! Have fun with all your buddies, four legged and two legged.
**Written by Ashley Coleman** *Not Anonymous*
Happy Birthday Sweet girl!! I hope you have a great day!! Thanks for always giving me huge hugs (most of the time) and screaming my name like you havent seen me in a million years.
It seems like just yesterday you were crawling around in the toddler room screaming and demanding that ella, kate, lily and abby not take your toys because they all could walk!
Your a determined little girl and I CANNOT wait to see where God takes you!
Happy birthday Madison lollipop sucker!
Lots and lots of love,
Ashaweee Coleman :)
Okay, So of course I'm going to comment on what made me LOL. Jason and I ALWAYS say I would have been one of those pioneer women that died in childbirth. So funny that you say that too!
What a fun and lovely tribute to your sweet little 4-year-old! She sounds like a fun little person.
So how do you REALLY feel about that doctor??
Your pictures go so wonderfully with your post...well said and so thoughtful and heartfelt! She is a beautiful little girl and I hope she has an amazing birthday! Happy Birthday 4 year old!!
What a sweet post. She will look back on this someday and cry her little eyes out! Amazing the love that a Mother can have for her children! Happy Birthday little miss Madison!!!!!!
Awww. Happy birthday to your beautiful four year old! I love that picture of her as a newborn. She was so perfect looking.
THAT was beautiful! Happy Birthday, Madi! You are PRECIOUS!!!!!
Aw, Happy Birthday!
Ohmygoodness, I love the pics! My fave is the one where they are walking through the trees. Fabulous shot!
And, wow, the pic of Katrina sitting on the hospital bed and then the pic of Madison when she became a big sis... they look so much alike!
Happy 4th to Madi! I hope she had a fantastic birthday! :)
What a sweet post! Hope she had a terrific and special b-day!
What a beautiful post for your sweet girl. Happy Late Birthday big 4 year old!
Oh my sweet Maddie! Little girl you are loved so much by so many. I pray wisdom and discernment over you, and that you grow in strength and beauty. Real, true, inner beauty that doesn't fade. I pray for a feminine beauty that is strong and lovely, peaceful and comforting, quiet, bold, and fierce. I pray immense blessings over you, and your family. We love you!
Post a Comment