Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

True Story Tuesday




So, I could write my TST post all about how Rachel and my sister ganged up on me on Saturday.  Bullied, really.  Coerced me into revealing for all of the FB world the nickname Rach so lovingly bestowed upon me. 


Or I could write about the endless emails that have gone back and forth since that fateful post referring to my new nickname.   I have spewed coffee on more than one computer and snorted drinks up my nose.  I have made my hubby read over my shoulder every night. 


But, instead, I will attempt to let Saint Poopicusgate go quiet, fade silently into the distant memories of blogland.  I hope.  We all know it won't happen anytime this century, but a girl can dream, can't she?




This TST takes us back a few years.  A sweet young lady we had mentored was getting ready to leave on her first DTS mission with YWAM.  We first met her when she was in kindergarten.  It was a privilege to see her grow and follow God's calling on her life.


Her 18th birthday fell right before she was to leave.  Her parents invited everyone down to a nearby town to go to one of our favorite restaurants.  We had a wonderful evening, laughing and reminiscing.  When it came time to pay and leave, our waitress came to our table with a surprised look on her face.  She told us that our bill had been paid for.  The bill for all 20 of us.  And, in fact, the entire restaurant had been paid for.


Okay, where are the cameras?  Seriously, are we on Candid Camera or something?  Cause this cannot be real!


For real, a very sweet older gentleman came in for dinner and paid for the entire restaurant.  The staff told us that he does this a few times a year.  We thanked him as we left, truly touched by this random act of kindness.  To this day, I wonder about that man.  If he had family somewhere.  What possessed him to spend thousands of dollars on perfect strangers multiple times of year?


I like to think that, that night, we met an angel. 

7 comments:

Brandi said...

That is so cool! DB worked in the restaurant biz for years. At the last place he worked, an older guy would come in once a week and pay for everyone eating that was in uniform (which was usually quite a few since we live close to a military base). He didn't allow DB to tell them who paid though.

Shell said...

Wow, that's so sweet!

Jennifer Haas said...

What an awesome story and man to do something like that. I hope one day I will be able to do something like that. Visiting for True Stories Tuesday's.

HeatherOz said...

Wow! How lucky that you were at the restaurant on the same night as an angel!

Amy said...

So great that there are still good people out there. It does make you wonder about his life though. In a good way though. When the news is full of murder and rape, it is nice to hear good things! See, now why can't things like that be on the news?????

Rachel said...

I love this! I love this terrific "good news" post :) What a great story!

And I'm sorry - but any publicity is good publicity right? I mean, I was just doing my part in drawing visitors to your lovely tale. Ahem - that's my story and I'm sticking too it.

Saint Poopicus

*giggle*

Beth Zimmerman said...

Being so busy has made me miss too much! Saint Poopiscue? Sounds like I need to hear the back story!

Josiah has considered doing a DTS. We seriously looked into one in Australia but the timing hasn't been right. Yet.

Hope life is treating you well and that you are finding joy in the journey!

Thanks for the continued prayers! Love ya!