Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

True Story Tuesday: Because the ER nurses missed us

So I know I promised the story behind this pitiful photo.




While we were in Telluride, we thought it would be fun to take the girls base jumping.  What?  Your kids haven't been base jumping yet?  Hmm ... must be a Colorado thing then.


Anyways, the first jump went fabulous.  The cliffs and winds near Telluride are just perfect for this sport.  The girls loved it, so we went up for another run.


Unfortunately, the winds caught Kat the wrong way this time.  She controlled her descent as best she could, but took the landing hard.  We were pretty lucky  - she could have been seriously hurt.




~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~



And, if you believed that, then I have a dictionary with your photo in it.  Right next to the word gullible.



I'm sorry.  I really am.  I couldn't resist.  Because I know that at least one of you actually thought I just might be crazy enough to do this with my children.  I am crazy, but not stupid.  They aren't allowed to base jump until they are proficient sky-divers.  So, we will probably have to wait until they are 10 for that adventure.



Kidding!!!! 



Oh, you wanted the real story? 



While we were in Telluride this weekend, we enjoyed a picnic at the top of the ski area.  The kids had finished eating, and were playing with their friends.  Katrina went running across the gravel towards one of her friends when she tried to pull her best Blog Dominator impression.  Thankfully, there was no camera to protect.


Gravel + growing, slightly clumsy kid = injury


At the time, we were more concerned with the gravel in her knees than her fingers.  She skinned up both knees pretty well.  We got the blood cleaned up, but her fingers were still sore.  We bribed her with a fabulous ice cream sundae, but that didn't work either.


We iced her fingers all evening, and figured they would be better by morning.  No such luck.  We stabilized them with athletic tape & a brace and went to church with her ice pack in tow. 


She was ok, but still hurt.  We snuggled on the couch and slept a bit Sunday afternoon.  When we woke up, her fingers were very swollen and bruised.  It was time to visit the ER. 


Remember when we went to the ER when Katrina was sick in February? And got the IV?  Yup, we got the same nurse.  And she remembered us.  You know, that is kind of sad.


3 x-rays later, we had officially broken fingers.  Just slightly broken, mind you, but still broken.  On a bright note, the x-ray tech was sincerely impressed by her finger dexterity.  I told him Kat has musician hands like her mommy. 


So, she gets to wear the lovely hot pink splint for a week.  If, after the week, it still hurts, then we need to head back in.  If she feels fine, we are good to go. 


Her biggest concern at the moment is that no one can sign her splint. 




Have a whopper of a tale?  Then go join Rachel & Mr. Daddy for more mostly true fun!

11 comments:

Teresa Dawn said...

Lol! Well, I believed it, but I didn't even know what base jumping was until I looked at your link when I finished reading your post :p

Hope it heals quickly ;)

Mr. Daddy said...

I liked the base jumping story the best....LOL

Mommy's should be cool like that...ROFL

Mr. Daddy said...

P.S. "O" yeah sorry bout Katrina's fingers...

Jan said...

You had me going on the base jumping for a second, I was thinking...well, maybe it's just more of a hill they were jumping from than a mt! ;-)

Rachel said...

See, those other bloggers don't know you as well as I do, right? Cuz I know that you have a gnarly sense of humor like that :) But you love your kids more than life and you'd wait at LEAST another year to take them base jumping ;)

Can I just say that I want to reach through the screen and hug that poor girl? I lived with two broken fingers for days before my parents realized I wasn't kidding... and those are just no fun!

Umm... why can't people sign the splint? I totally would :)

Thanks for linking up... you have the best stories!

Kari said...

I like how Julie 'Blog Dominator' got into this story! And, yea, as I'm reading this I'm thinking your kids can't be base jumping yet! Of course, I had friends try this in high school. I opted out of that trip!
Hope her fingers heal quick. Darn gravel!

{Kimber} said...

poor baby...least she is stylin' with her pink splint!!

Slamdunk said...

Yikes, that reminds me of some painful spills as a clumsy kid. I hope she heals quickly--and nice intro with the base jumping tall tale.

Also, thanks for the comment on my guest post over at Mama Cass' site. I appreciate you taking time to leave a note.

Amy said...

Girl, you got me good! I thought you were nuts there for a second! LOL

Poor thing! She really was a trooper though! I can't believe how brave she is! I hope they heal perfectly!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Argh! I have been labelled the most gullible person on earth by pretty much everyone who knows me! My hubby regularly proclaims that I am "fun to tease!" And I don't know EXACTLY what base jumping entails so I was willing to buy it! :)

HeatherOz said...

hahaha! Good one. I didn't buy the first story. But it may have been because I read the post above it first. She is one tough girl!!