Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday, September 18, 2010

When Did You Get So Big?

It seems like just yesterday we got the horrible news.  My body was broken.  I probably would never conceive on my own.  Your daddy chose to marry me anyways, reassuring me that God would give us children, and it didn't matter how they came.


It seems like just yesterday we stared at the pregnancy test in disbelief.  Really?  We were pregnant?  Six months after getting married?  We were giddy.  Grandpa went out and bought your first rifle the day we told him. 


It seems like only yesterday I was winning the "giant prego as big as a whale" competition. 



You spend a pregnancy with French pastries and see how much weight you gain!




It seems like just yesterday you had your first dance with Grandpa,




your first fashion statement,





your first trip to Coors Field to watch our beloved Rockies.



Believe it or not, she watched the entire game.  As in sat on our laps and really watched the game.  I love this kid.



I still vividly remember your first birthday.



And the horrible, healthy cake I tried to feed you.  You wouldn't touch it. 




I will never forget this Christmas.  It was our last with your Great-Grandpa.



The two of you sat together like this for a long time, sharing a conversation the rest of us never heard.  At one point he patted your arm.  And you put your other hand on top of his.  Then the two of you just sat there like that, looking into each other's eyes. 


A few months later, Great-Grandpa's pain ended, and he got to meet Jesus face-to-face.  As long as I live, I will never forget that Christmas.




Where did your baby fat go?  The little rolls on your arms and legs were my favorite!





You have always been ready for adventure,





ready to have some fun!





When we found out we were pregnant with Madison, you were so excited!  You told everyone you met that Mommy had a baby in her tummy, and you were going to take care of it.  You danced and sang the day your sister was born.  From her first moments, you have been a wonderful big sister.





When you turned three, we had a barbecue at our house.  You somehow got ahold of the extra invitations I printed, and passed them out at church.  We had no idea.  We stopped counting partygoers at 75.  There were people in our house we had never met!  But you loved it.  You have never met a stranger, and have one of the sweetest, most welcoming hearts I have ever seen.  It was perfectly natural for you to have half the church at your party - that's just how God wired you!





As you have grown, you have learned what it means to be loved by a daddy, and what it means to be a family.





Just a few months after you turned 4,




You got the joy of holding another baby sister in your arms.  You have always been a wonderful big sister.  God created you special, just for this role.  He knew it would take someone extra special to love Madison and Violet, to show them the ropes.  And He made you.





You were so excited to go to kindergarten.  My little social butterfly - you thrived in the classroom. 






In first grade, you had to grow up more than I would have liked.



The mommy of one of your best buddies passed away.  It was a shock to all of us.  You, my sweet angel, were amazing.  The teachers would tell me stories of you and your buddy, sitting on the playground and crying together.  They would tell me about how you seemed to always be able to comfort her, to make her smile, to always understand.  I know God gave you a wisdom and empathy far beyond your years.  God knew your friend would need someone amazing to walk through this heartache with her, and He made you.



And now that you are seven, you continue to amaze me.  You have learned to persevere.  You have learned to stand up for what you believe, to express yourself. 






You have learned to overcome obstacles, to face your fears. 





My dear, sweet Katrina - I love you more than words can express.  You are my little girlfriend, even though you aren't so little anymore.  You have challenged me to rethink how I see myself, because there is so much of me in you.  You have shown me what it means to love your neighbor, because there isn't a single person you don't love.  Really love.  You love like Jesus does, something adults struggle to do. 


God knew there would be people who needed someone to hold them in their God knew I needed an extra-special daughter, and He made you.


Happy Birthday, my dear, sweet princess.  You are my treasure.

15 comments:

Jill said...

Love this post! Happy birthday to sweet Katrina. Your mom is right. You are extra special, sweet, caring, beautiful inside and out, and fun to be around. We love you! The Palmers

Shana Putnam said...

Oy. You made me cry. Beautiful post and you obviously have a wonderful daughter who is taught the right way.

Brandi said...

So sweet. Happy Birthday to Katrina! :)

Rachel said...

I love your little miracles! And gosh she is growing up so quickly! Why am I not surprised at how God used her to help heal her friend's heart? Or that her grandpa bought her a rifle right off the bat?

I laughed out loud at the birthday invitations! That would take some sneaky planning, hee hee!

Katrina - you are loved much! Happiest Birthday Sweet Girl!

Kristin said...

Happy birthday, my biggest niece!! I can't WAIT to see you next weekend...and have some extra-girly fun!!!

McCrakensx4 said...

What a wonderful birthday tribute to your first born. You can just feel the love. Happy happy to the birthday girl and I hope she has a fantastic day!

Teresa Dawn said...

Happy Birthday! I really love the picture taken just after she turned four! Sooo cute!

Michy said...

so sweet! this blog is going to be such a treasure to your baby Ior not so baby) girls when they are grown!

Amy said...

What an amazingly beautiful post! Happy birthday to that sweet little girl! You make me want to go an squeeze my own kids and never let them go. I mean, I had trouble with Lula Mae turning 2... so I am not sure how this whole "growing up" thing is gonna work!!!!

Jan said...

That was so sweet! *tear*

Sommer said...

This was too sweet! Tell the sweet princess Happy Birthday from us here in Denver.

Jo said...

Seriously you need to stop making me cry. I love this most and Happy Late Birthday sweet Katrina - you are an amazing young lady and I am so thankful and blessed by you.

HeatherOz said...

Happy Birthday Katrina!

excuse me, I have to go blow my nose and dry my eyes!!

ok, I'm back!

Oh my goodness. That is one special girl you've got! Just an amazing amazing girl!

Julie said...

Such a sweet post, Tiffany!! Where does the time go??!!

Susan Mudry-McDaniel said...

Im late and a dollar short, but....

Happy Birthday Katrina!! My days in DGO were awesome, and her hospitality towards me when I stayed @ Chez Bleger was sweet. (She must've gotten from her mum). God Speed, he has big plans for you. You will continue to show hope, and love in a world with a great need for both.