Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, March 25, 2011

Heritage

I come from this cabin in Monticello, Utah,


Where my grandparents homesteaded during the Great Depression.





I come from the cliffs of Moab,


when the town was a pitstop for ranchers and roughnecks, not yet a playground for the outdoor enthusiast.





I come from the La Sal mountains,



where they summered the herd on 12,000 acres of pristine mountain wilderness.




I come from this lonely dirt road,




a road with only one ranch,




and a house that seemed so much bigger when I was a child.





And, although my grandparents have not lived in this remote valley for almost 20 years,





The red cliffs and rolling sagebrush still feel like home.

10 comments:

Jan said...

Wow, great pictures! Such a beautiful landscape!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous... You need to come visit our ranch :)

Shana Putnam said...

Aww, i am in Heaven. I love the photos and the back story. I want to move back to Wyoming so badly. Yeah, we only lived there 5 months but I would still be there if it was only up to me.

Amy said...

So beautiful!

Beth Zimmerman said...

Beautiful! I feel similarly about the rocky beaches in Maine. And I haven't been "home" in 21 years!

Kimberly Beach said...

Love it.

Rachel said...

Wonderful that you have this place nearby. You make me homesick!

Bethany said...

Wow that's gorgeous. You got some great pictures. Are you near Utah?

Michy said...

beautiful. interesting. thanks for sharing!

Mom Of Many said...

BEautiful Tiff - beautiful...and especially love the homestead building...wow. Thank you for sharing!! xo